Welcome to the 1955 Gazette!

I keep getting excited about my idea for retirement.  I want to move to So Cal and be near Disneyland!  If my husband achieves his goals this will mean that I get to work part-time at anything I want and to have my blog to promote/advertise all things Disneyland.  My goal is to post weekly to bi-weekly about events, store sales, store features and Disneyland/Downtown Disney in general.
.
There are so many blogs, newsletters etc. that favor Disney World in Florida and give a spattering of news of Disney Parks elsewhere.  I want to focus on California and the original park that opened in 1955 which is why I came up with the 1955 Gazette.
.
Since I currently live in Northern California and am 7-8 hours away I will post here on things I find out and memories I have of going to Disneyland.  It is my and my husband's favorite vacation spot (next to cruising) and we try to go as often as we can.
.
This year (2017) we decided to go for St. Valentine's Day as neither of us had been before on this particular day.  I have to admit it was a bit disappointing.  There was very little in the way of Valentine's related merchandise and even less decorations in the park.  I'm going to have to go through my husband's camera (I forgot mine at home) to find the pics I asked him to take.  There were a couple of "iron" stakes shaped into hearts that were placed in the flowerbeds in the center of main street as you walk in under the train tracks.  I have to admit, in my mind I pictured paper/lace hearts in the store windows along main street, heart shaped pink/red/white wreaths on the lamp-posts (like at Christmas time) and t-shirts with character's kissing/holding hands/giving flowers.  Nope!  I think we saw all of two different pin-trading pins, one being the "cupid" from Tangled.  We both bought that one to give to each other as it had the date on it.
Here is the Valentine's gift from my husband that I absolutely love!

It's the perfect size for the items I choose to carry with me.  (I bought the Minnie themed key chain and turned it into a zipper pull.) It's 10"h x 14"w x 6"d.  I believe this would be considered a Disney Boutique item though the only tag it has says "Disney Parks Authentic - Original".  (The other bag that I saw at the park of a similar size and style is on the Disney Store website as Disney Boutique.)  And I get so many compliments on this bag, it's amazing!


This is the Dooney & Bourke that I chose to buy for myself this trip.  I'd been wanting a "Disney Dooney" for many years now.  I had always talked myself out of it before in not being able to decide on a style or particular design (as they always have several at a time to choose from) or the fact that they are just so expensive.  I finally told myself that I just wasn't going to leave the park without one this time.  However, I had rather set my mind on the "downtown" design and they only had it in the crossbody style.  As small as I have gotten my bags down to I just didn't think that I would be able to use a crossbody (11"h x 10"s x 4"d) on a daily basis.  Just to compare the two bags, this one is 11 1/2"h x 17"w x 6"d.  You wouldn't think that just 1 1/2 inches in height or 3" in width would make that much of a difference, but this bag is huge!  And because I carry so little, everything just swims around in it!  I carried this bag for about a month and couldn't stand how big it was and had to change out bags.  (Also, just an fyi - this particular bag doesn't have the signature D&B red lining.)
.
I have a co-worker that's going to Disneyland in about a month and she says if I make up my mind she will pick up a bag for me.  I paid $275 for something that I'm not using and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  But I'm having a hard time trying to come up with something I really want!  I know I could probably sell this one on eBay as I'm always looking for deals there and I see them listed.
.
Well, I think that's going to be all for now.  I'll try to post another memory soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip #16 - Birthday Trip Day Three

Trip #20 - D23 Light Up the Season