Trip #16 - The Birthday Trip 2018 - Day One

This year was a milestone birthday for me (50!) and my husband was trying to decide what to do for me for "the big one".  We wanted to take another cruise (we decided on our honeymoon that we would shoot for every 5 year anniversary but the 1st one passed without) so that was a possibility.  But I also hadn't been back to Disneyland on my birthday (I share my birthday with Disneyland - July 17th) in ten years.  There were other places we could go but neither of us was all that enthused and we were both jonesing to go back to the park.  (We have lots of friends who love Disneyland and we see posts and photos on Facebook of everyone's trip.)

So the decision was made to take a week and go to Disneyland!

Since the first time we went to Disneyland together we always plan to do something "new", preferrably that neither one of us has done before.  Even with my husband being a native Californian (though I'm not) we are still able to come up with something.  This trip was a lot of somethings new!

Onto the Details!

This trip our first day was Saturday, July 14th.  I set the alarm clock like we were going to work that day (aka not sleeping in).  I think I was actually asleep when the alarm went off.  Got up, dressed and did a few last minute things before tossing the suitcases/bags into the car for the drive down.  My husband had the coffee ready before we left so we were able to last a little longer on the drive before we had to stop for breakfast.

Second stop was at the Walmart in Selma for a restroom stop and some snacky bits.  I also wanted to get us some bananas (for potassium) so we had them with us instead of paying $2 a piece inside the park.  I will usually look around this store for clothes as the last time we stopped here I found a Mickey and Minnie themed shirt for St. Patrick's Day.  Alas, nothing to be found on this particular trip.  However, I did buy a pair of 16g memory cards for our cameras as I expected to take many pictures on this memorable trip.  Third stop was at the bottom of the Grapevine for one last restroom break and food to get us through the rest of the drive.

We got to Burbank at about 1:30 pm and it was about 95 degrees.  (It almost felt like we never left home!)  This was the first stop on our itinerary.  We got to the hotel early but they were able to check us in.  We unloaded what we needed for the night and cooled off in the a/c.  It was nice to take a break out of the car with the feeling of "we're finally here!".  Then we decided to head out.  We started for 
so I could check out a local store.  This was the closest "needlework" store to where we were staying.  There was no parking on the street (and Magnolia is a busy street) so we decided to park across the street at Rite Aid.  We went inside and bought something so we were a customer (and legitimately park in their lot) and then walked the short distance to the other store.  They had some really nice yarns there but I had set my budget at $30-40 and I wanted to get a new pattern and crochet hook to go with the yarn.  So I passed a few yarns by that were around $32 a hank until I found the Malabrigo!  Lovely soft stuff in pretty colors.  We decided on a green (as I don't have much green) and the crochet shawl pattern that was not far away.  My husband picked up a crochet hook that we thought I didn't have and I picked up the one required for the pattern.  He also found a golden snitch pin (from Harry Potter) that he said he could turn into a needleminder for me - then he bought everything!  He said this was an early birthday present as he only brought one thing with him intending to buy me more while we were here.  Everyone in the store was very nice and impressed (and thought it was sweet) that my husband was buying me what was needed for a whole project.  Then we headed back to the hotel.

I need to interject a little background in here.  A few years ago we had a cute little boutique in our downtown area that carried 50's style clothing.  Unfortunately for me my husband was unemployed at the time and I had little money for buying boutique clothing.  (aka: about triple what things cost at Walmart.)  But found that I looked good in that style.  So I bought a couple of tops and a couple of skirts and the "wiggle" dress that I wanted before she closed up shop.  I found brands online but one never knows how it's going to actually fit.  I finally found a shop in Burbank (Unique Vintage) and I had to wait more than a year to get there on this trip!  So one day while checking out Unique Vintage on Google Maps I found that it's on a street that's called "Antiques Row" where there are lots of fun thrift stores and boutiques.  After discussing it we decided to make a shopping day of it and invited our friends who live in the area to go with us.  Now, back to Saturday.

After parking back at the hotel (it's now still only about 3 or 4pm) we pick up the water bottles that we'd forgotten and started walking to our designated shopping area.  First we found a shop where the owner makes steampunk style clothing.  We were intrigued by the front window and when we walked in they were packing up most of their inventory to go to a show.  We talked to them for about a half hour before moving on to the next place.  

Besame Cosmetics was next.  Now, I'm not a real girly-girl when it comes to make up.  I learned one way to do it when I was a teenager and it wasn't the 25-step project that started with moisturizers concealers and foundation.  (I also get most of my make up at Dollar Tree.)  What I was looking for was their brown cake mascara and a really good red lipstick that stays red and doesn't turn orange or pink on me.  I like brown mascara as it gives a softer more natural look and since my lashes are very short it takes a miracle to make them look longer.  I also don't like to look like I'm wearing spiders on my face!  (That generally happens with black mascara.)  I was also quite intrigued because mascara has been liquid in a tube for as long as I can remember!  I was interested in their lipstick because I found out that they replicate colors from the 20's through the 50's.  I figured if anyone would have what I'm looking for then they would.

When I walked in I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.  The store was decorated in a vintage style to make you feel like you've gone back in time.  The girls at the counter asked if they could help me and I asked to see the mascara and how to use it.  The girls were very helpful and informative!  I loved it because my brain kicked in and noticed that you could control the amount of mascara you use - unlike with a tube where it can come out all clumpy and uneven.  I was sold on that alone, but after putting a sample of each color on my lashes everyone liked the brown better.  Then I asked about the lipstick and she went straight for the Red Velvet.  (I had that one in mind as the one I wanted but I was looking for another opinion as well.)  Again I was given a sample.  My husband was quite impressed and even though the lighting in the store was not exactly bright I loved the color!  Lo and behold I wasn't done yet as my husband had found the fragrances.  Normally I'm not big on fragrance.  I like a light, somewhat fruity kind of smell; something that's not going to be obnoxious and linger.  I tend to find one I like and by the time I use up the whole bottle they have discontinued that fragrance.  And that is where I found myself - somewhat good timing I guess.  So, I don't remember which one my husband started with (as I'm posting this a month later) but I believe I ended up with the "Hollywood rumors and scandals".  Now I know that it's only a small rollerball bottle and it won't last long if I were to wear it daily.  It's a little more complicated than the light fragrance I normally wear so I've decided to only use this one for date nights and the like.  While one of the girls is ringing me up the other is bagging my purchase and she throws in a couple of sample lipsticks.  I'm not sure exactly as there's no name on them but I think one is the Noir Red as it is really dark.  I'm not really into dark lipstick (unless it's Halloween) but I may have a dress or two that it might go with.  The other sample I believe is the Chocolate Kiss.  Well, it smells like chocolate and it is a neutral color although I think it looks more like the Dusty Rose.  

Other than Unique Vintage, I really wanted to go to It's A Wrap!  This is a thrift store that gets their inventory from movie/television studios.  I was rather disappointed in that there was basically nothing in my size.  My husband however, found three nice button down shirts, a pair of button on suspenders and a couple pair of cufflinks.  All for less than what I spent at the cosmetics store!

Last but not least, we decided to try this Italian deli for dinner.  My husband got the veal parmesan with a side of spaghetti and I got the lasagna with garlic bread and a glass of wine to share.  Yummy!  The rest of the stores were closed by the time we finished dinner but I had found something I wanted to check out at the mall on the other side of the freeway.
On one of the many occasions I was trolling Google Maps and Burbank's Magnolia street looking at all the fun places we were going to go to I found a mall and clicked on the little shopping icon.  That brought up pictures of the mall and I found this place while scrolling through the pictures.  It is another retro-clothing store.  (I say "retro" meaning it's brand-new clothing made in an older style vs. "vintage" meaning clothing that is actually older and generally previously worn.)  The description on the mall's website says (in part) "eclectic, Rockabilly and kitschy".  What caught my eye about this place was the dresses.  I still wanted to go to Unique Vintage and was determined to get a dress there, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to go here first (and the store was open longer).  So again, off to the mall after dinner.  I got really lucky!  We parked in the first parking garage we saw and went in through the first door which happened to be Macys.  Once out into the mall it was right next to Macys!  I bought a red with white polka dot 50's swing dress and two petticoats.  They had them in just about every color of the rainbow.  (I got black and white.)  I plan on getting a couple more when possible.  They were very affordable!  And they have a frequent buyers program.  I wasn't sure if I would buy more from there, but now I'm thinking it's a very real possibility.

Extremely thirst by now after shopping the whole store and trying on no less than 3 dresses and a pair of shoes, I couldn't wait to get out of there.  A quick trip to DQ/Orange Julius for something to drink and then we were headed back to the hotel (again).  But it was still so warm out that we decided to cool down with a dip in the pool.

I was very happy with how our first day went and was looking forward to the second!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the 1955 Gazette!

Trip #16 - Birthday Trip Day Three

Trip #17 D23 Expo 2019