Trip #16 - The Birthday Trip 2018 - Day Two

Just a quick blurb before I get started.  Yes, I've counted how many trips I've made to Disneyland.  Granted, I'm relying on my faulty memory, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten them all mostly correct.  (Especially when I only started counting in 2009 and my first trip dates back to when I graduated high school in 1985.)  And what about Disney World you say?  My sister took me when I was 9.  I remember her getting sick on the plane/by the time we got to the hotel.  I remember telling the front desk people and the ambulance ride to the hospital and back.  I remember not knowing how to dial long-distance on a hotel phone to call home (although I finally did it).  I remember my Mom catching the first flight she could to Florida from Chicago.  I remember the rental car was green.  I do not remember one little bit of the rest of the time we were there.  So when my husband and I went on our honeymoon I considered that my first trip!

Ok - Day Two

I hardly slept and we were up early, showered and dressed.  I wore my white lace dress, basically a classic sheath type.  I figured if I was going to be trying on clothes/dresses then I wanted to already be wearing the correct undergarments.  I also wore my comfy sandals and new black sunhat that I made a big bow with a red with white polka dots ribbon.  A cute accessory that kept the sun off my face!

The first stop was at Target that wasn't even half a block down and across the street.  I was needing to buy an eyelash brush for the new mascara that I bought the day before.  I found one for $1.  (The two brush set at Besame is $15.)  Then we headed to

We were scheduled to meet our friends there for breakfast.  They were running late so I ordered for us.  (We were up so early that we'd already finished our coffee, packed the car and checked out of the room.)  We were pretty much done with breakfast when our friends got there and they introduced us to a couple of their friends they brought along.  Even though it was my birthday (still technically a couple of days away) everyone else had had theirs.  I brought along birthday gifts for my husband and our friends.  It was fun watching everyone open their packages!  But then it was finally time for shopping!  Since parking is at a premium around Porto's we decided to head up the street as everything was mostly 2 hour parking around there anyway.

I think we started again at It's A Wrap and also found our way to the Bearded Lady and 

Playclothes is a wonderful shop filled with a bunch of small rooms and lots and lots of clothes for women and men.  However, I was again having a hard time finding anything to catch my eye in my size.  Plus, my feet were starting to hurt and I really wanted to get to Unique Vintage before too long because that was really the goal of this trip.  And then finally, we made it.

I was so excited!  I found the Barbie clothes as soon as I walked into the door.  Not to mention all the lovely flapper dresses they have.  But I was looking for a particular style and wasn't seeing it.  So I looked all around and found something to try on as disappointed as I was.  Then my husband asked a sales girl and she found exactly what I was looking for!  It was on a sale rack that I hadn't seen yet - and I look at all the sale racks.  Anyway, the first one I tried on fit perfectly and I came out of the dressing room with a big smile on my face.  My husband was so pleased that he bought it for me.  So this is the dress and I'm wearing the black petticoat from Sidecca to give the skirt shape.
I think each of us girls walked out of UV with a shopping bag!  So then a late lunch at the Hollywood Way BBQ.  Great food!  I would definitely go there again.  After lunch we all parted ways and we headed down to Anaheim.  We checked in to Motel 6 with a snafu (I called for late check in and to NOT charge my card because we were bringing cash, but they charged my card anyway) and headed up to our room.  I was kind of excited that we got an upper room on the west side of the building so we could see the fireworks from our room, but the first trip into the bathroom discovered the light was out.  There's no way I'm taking a shower in the dark!  So back to the front desk we go and come to find out that they have no maintenance service on the weekend.  They changed our room to an interior (view of the pool) but the room had a mini-fridge.  I know that one's around $20 more a night (I saw it when making our reservation) but comped because of the snafu so we took it.  Then we found out that the room was just outside of the elevator (i.e. close by the elevator and ice machine) - score!

As per usual when we get there we head to Downtown Disney to check the place out and maybe get a drink.  I've been hearing about how great Trader Sams is and we know how popular it is because last year when we made the trip for St. Valentine's day the place was packed and the line was out the door and down the steps.  That was our mission.  Once through security and on the other side of the ticket booths we see that they've set up some new "outdoor" shopping. (Prior to reaching the bakery.)  I want to say it was two sets of three connected walls where they could hang t-shirts and sweatshirts, some hats and ear headbands too.  There were some market umbrellas to provide shade from the relentless sun.  I'm sure this was because the World of Disney store was half closed down for remodeling.  That is an enormous store and just picture half of it closed off and only having half the merchandise!  You then look to the north and see that part of Naples Ristorante is blocked off as they are remodeling as well.  Further down where the little girls boutique was is now the Dress Store.  (You can also find some of the dresses in a little shop in New Orleans Square in the park.)  Looking again to the north where Build-A-Bear used to be, the whole building is dark/empty.  Past that, we did see Splitsville (the bowling alley) but didn't take the time to go inside and see what it was like.  Everything past there seemed to be the same as we headed to the next security stop before the Disneyland Hotel.  We found our way to Trader Sams and though we finally got in the door there was nowhere to sit.  Nobody was leaving and the bar was hopping - on a Sunday night!  It was decorated as you'd expect for Disney and it was fairly dark as most bars are (in my experience).  I managed to find a menu and we ordered drinks.  I just about had a heart attack when I was told it was going to cost $75 for two drinks!  (I knew there were souvenir cups involved but wow!)  Then the bartender told me that we wouldn't have to take the used cups with us, there were clean ones already packaged up to take home.  I was not about to stand for however long it took us to finish the drinks so we took them outside to find a seat.  It was still warm enough not to need a jacket so it was relatively pleasant to sit outside and drink.  Of course we had hit the pin trading booth on the way and made a purchase so we opened everything and got our lanyards started while we were sitting.  They were good sized drinks with plenty of alcohol so we took our time and enjoyed the evening.  On our way back to our room we did a little bit of window shopping as it was getting late and most of the stores were closing/closed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the 1955 Gazette!

Trip #16 - Birthday Trip Day Three

Trip #17 D23 Expo 2019